Fourth of July Week in Fredericksburg Filled With Family-Fun Activities
Since July 4th falls on a Wednesday in 2018, Fredericksburg will celebrate with ten days of activities for all ages. Here are a few of the events planned from Friday, June 29 to Sunday, July 8.
- Catch the final weekend performances of “The Music Man” as the Fredericksburg Theater Company closes out its summer musical production at the Steve W. Shepherd Theater. Reserve your seats for the six-time Tony Award-winning musical that follows fast-talking salesman Harold Hill as he cons the people of River City with shows at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, June 29 and Saturday, June 30, followed by a 2:00 p.m. showing on Sunday, July 1.
- Watch Movies Under the Stars at the LBJ Ranch on Saturday, June 30. This fun-filled night on the LBJ Ranch starts with gates opening at 7:00 p.m. and will be just like friends of the Johnsons experienced in the 60s and 70s. “Yellow Submarine” will be projected on an outdoor screen and those attending are asked to bring their own choice of seating, food, and drinks.
- Sing Along with the Beach Boys Tribute Show at Rockbox Theater on Saturday, June 30. SURFIN’ The Beach Boys Tribute sings America’s enduring soundtrack with shows at 4:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. at Rockbox Theater. The band is a faithful recreation of what it would have been like to see The Beach Boys live, in concert, in their prime.
- Experience the Fredericksburg Summer Farmers Market with local fruits, vegetables, meats, Gulf seafood, cheese, bread, wood-fired pizza, locally roasted coffee drinks, local wine made with 100% Texas grapes and prepared food on Thursday, July 5, in the Kinderhalle Pavilion at Marktplatz from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Attend the Nightly Bat Emergence at Old Tunnel State Park every evening at dusk. From May through October, up to 3 million Mexican free-tailed bats emerge from an abandoned railroad tunnel at Old Tunnel State Park. Thursday through Sunday, be one of the first 70 visitors and get to watch from the lower viewing area for $5 per person. The upper viewing area is limited to 250 visitors and is free.
- Drink Texas Wine during the Reds, Whites & Blues Celebration at Lost Draw Cellars on Saturday, July 1. This fourth annual Independence Day Celebration will feature new wine releases and blues music with Ben Beckendorf as well as hot dogs from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Deck the kids out in their finest Fourth of July gear and kick off the Fourth of July festivities on Wednesday, July 4, at 8:30 a.m. during the annual July Fourth Kiddie Parade at Marktplatz featuring bicycles, pets, wagons and of course, kiddos decked out in red, white and blue! After the kiddie parade, grab a spot on Main Street or attend a viewing party at Vaudeville or Pontotoc Weingarten for the July Fourth Community Parade which kicks off at 10:00 a.m. After the parade, a special Patriotic Program will take place at Marktplatz.
- After shopping Main Street, cool off with a sweet treat, like delicious peach ice cream or an old-fashioned coke float at Clear River Ice Cream and Bakery on Main Street. Clear River boasts more than 30 ice cream flavors available each day- so pace yourself!
- Enjoy a number of special events throughout Independence Day:
- Sample chili, enjoy entertaining chili cook showmanship, wine tasting and live music during the July 4th Chili Cookoff at Becker Vineyards from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Enjoy a day of fun in Luckenbach Texas from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. with a Classic Car Parade, Lucken Pong and Washer Pitchin with live music by Paul Cauthen, the Peterson Brothers and the Chubby Knuckle Choir and more during the 4th of July Celebration in Luckenbach Texas.
- Wrap up July 4th with the annual July Fourth fireworks show at Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park at around 9:30 p.m. Spread out your blankets on the grass, enjoy your snacks and drinks and watch the starry Texas Hill Country sky burst with color inside the park or attend a viewing party at the Gillespie County Airport or the Wrede Historic Country School.
- View world-class art during the First Friday Art Walk on Friday, July 5. Participating fine art galleries will remain open until 8:00 p.m., so that visitors can have time to visit the various events and exhibits planned throughout the day and enjoy local refreshments.
- Cheer for the ponies at the Gillespie County Fairgrounds during the live pari-mutuel quarter horse and thoroughbred races on Saturday and Sunday, July 7 and 8. Nibble on local eats and enjoy the shaded stands while watching thoroughbred horse racing during the summer 2018 horse racing season debut at “Gillespie Downs”- the Gillespie County Race Track. Parents can even grab a cold one and place a few bets for their favorites, while everyone is sure to admire the horses as they thunder down the track. The family-friendly Gillespie County Race Track opens at 11:00 a.m. and post times begin at 1:00 p.m. Insider Tip: Skip the line by purchasing tickets online.
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg! For a full line-up of events this Fourth of July, click here.